Sunday, May 09, 2010

Mother's Day 2010, A.K.A. "The Kids Get To Do Whatever They Want To You 1st Thing In The Morning

This morning as I lie in bed enjoying not having to get up with the boys for the 2nd day in a row, I could hear giggles and, "SHHH!", "No me 1st!" coming up the stairs beyond my safety shield, I mean, my bedroom door. Next thing I know I'm being slapped in the face with what seemed like a 5 lb envelope, and low and behold, it basically was. The boys couldn't wait to come up and have me open my Snoopy card so they could do the "Charlie Brown Dance". The Charlie Brown holiday shows are a big deal around this house, so they were pretty excited.

So of course as I continued to peel my eyes open, I forgot about the knock to the head. Attention moved on to helping Todd pick out their outfits for church...making sure selections fit, and didn't look like something they were getting ready to the playground in. Of course there's the normal bickering in the backseat of the car on the way to church, then if there's ever a precious moment of calmness where Todd and I can finish a sentence or hear the song we're listening to, then Ben makes sure we remember he has perfected the art of screaming.

Then we get to church...and we hear Pastor Tim talk about how he called his mother 1st thing in the morning (6am!) to wish her a "Happy Mother's Day"...it hit me like a ton of bricks. One day, and I know it will seem like a flash in the pan, my boys will be grown men. I will be pretending to clean the kitchen, go through papers, all the while waiting for the phone to ring and hear one my my precious little baby boys "wish me a Happy Mother's Day". It will be those days that I long for the mornings they hit me in the head with a 5lb snoopy card, or presenting me with cupcakes that I will never eat, but will have to clean the icing up off of the carpet for, after they get dumped by the bed in all of the excitement. It will be these moments of it taking 45 minutes to unload the dishwasher because Benji wants to "help", or feeling unappreciated as I put all of their clothes away and clean up their rooms for the ump-teenth time. I will miss these times when they need me. So I pray for the presence of mind to appreciate all of these moments...to be thankful for their health, smiles, and sloppy kisses and tight hugs. What an overwhelming blessing.
Thank you God for allowing me to be woken up with a slap to the head, then again later at church with a "slap to the face" to get a perspective tune-up. :)

1 comment:

Kirsty Girl said...

How sweet! Cute blog!